Thursday 15 April 2010

Alice in Wonderland


Last week I went to see Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland in 3D (with Teen Baker! Visit her cooking blog - it's brilliant) .

It is about Alice's return to Wonderland aged 19, where again she encounters conflict with the Red Queen and is reunited with her old friends. It is part animated and part real.

Who's in it?
Alice - Mia Wasikowska - Her face was a bit too deadpan for my liking: even when she was crying she didn't show much emotion.

Mad Hatter - Johnny Depp - played a very sinister, almost schizophrenic Mad Hatter which I liked, although I found the fact that he kept switching to a Scottish accent a bit random. This added to the craziness of his character. In real life Johnny Depp seems quite normal! His voice in particular. If you don't believe me, watch his interview on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross where he was promoting Alice in Wonderland. Tim Burton was also interviewed.

Red Queen - Helena Bonham Carter - This part was made for her. She and Johnny Depp work so well together. It doesn't seem a difficult part, but she brings a sense of controlled insanity to it, and was funny in her gruesomeness. Although you may have only seen Bonham Carter play strange parts, mostly in her husband (Burton) 's films, she is actually a very good actress as I discovered when I watched Enid, the story of Enid Blyton's life in which Bonham Carter played the title role and was shown on the BBC earlier this year. As a fan of Blyton's books I was interested to find out that she had a difficult life because of problems with her marriage and children.

White Queen - Anne Hathaway

Stayne - Crispin Glover

Tweedledee/Tweedledum - Matt Lucas

Cheshire Cat - Stephen Fry - I love QI, and thought Fry was the perfect choice for the wise voice of the smiling cat.

White Rabbit - Michael Sheen

Blue Caterpillar - Alan Rickman - Again, the perfect voice

Dormouse - Barbara Windsor

March Hare - Paul Whitehouse

Bayard - Timothy Spall

Charles Kingsleigh - Marton Csokas

Lord Ascot - Tim Pigott-Smith

Colleague#1 - John Surman

I really enjoyed the film, I liked Tim Burton's slightly dark take on it, but I found the story a bit too predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment