Friday 16 April 2010

New Wimbledon Theatre Centenary Open Day


On Wednesday I went to the open day at the New Wimbledon Theatre.
There were many different things taking place including a 1920s Dance Workshop, stage make-up demonstrations and an open rehearsal which were the activities I took part in.
I expected the dance workshop to be really popular, but in the end only three people turned up! We learnt a routine to the song 'Won't you Charlston' and then performed it on the stage in the auditorium. This was my favourite part of the day.

Then I went to see a stage make-up demonstration where a lady showed how bruises, cuts and spots are created. She even made my friend (a girl) look like she had a beard and moustache!

Lastly I went to an open rehearsal of the play 'Tipping Point'. It turned out that the actors and writer had just come down to the studio to see the space that they will be performing in and they didn't do anything from the play. I met one of the actors, Susan Jameson (Esther from New Tricks) who was lovely, and the writer, Simon Lys, who explained that the play is 'an artistic take on some global issues'. If you're interested in seeing it, it's on at the New Wimbledon Studio from 28th April - 1st May at 7:45pm. Box Office: 0844 871 7646

The day was really enjoyable and I think it will be on again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment